Decision to go KIA


With our head count hitting 5 recently, we need a decent mover. My trusty Honda Civic VTI 2001, tried its best to accommodate us to the shopping trips. But with one car seat fixed and the stroller in the trunk, there wasn't much space for the groceries, nor for the already cramped in passenger... I knew I was asking too much from Japan. We needed lots of space to host 3 car seats, the twin-stroller, occasional groceries and still have some freedom of movement in case one of my babies decided its feeding time while I am doing 80.

I don't do off-roading, so buying an SUV wouldn't be a wise decision, it would look cool though, but buying a car is big decision and I wanted to be sure. Since I donated 99% of my wealth to charity, I was left with a tight budget to buy a big car, my choices were yet again constrained. With this criteria (More car-seat friendly space + budget) on board we began our vehicle search *.

Note: This rating is done as per my criteria, this does not apply generally to the vehicles in question. All these vehicles are designed for a specific purpose and targets a specific audience - which they meet very well, it just doesnt suits my needs.

Vehicle
Space
Cost (AED) **
My Rating
3 Car seats
Stroller
Groceries
with 3rd row in use
KIA Carnival
Excellent
Good
Good
75,000+

Mitsubishi Pajero
Average
Poor
Poor
96,000+

Mitsubishi Grandis
Poor
AveragePoor
85,000+
No cruise control, just a plane driving box
Honda Odyssey
ExcellentAverageAverage
126,000+
Basic model was really basic.
Honda Pilot
AverageAveragePoor
130,000+
Better for teenagers+, not babies
Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
DKDKDK

Toyota Land Cruiser
Excellent
Excellent
Excellent
275,000+

Toyota Previa
DKDKDK


Toyota Innova
DKDKDK
87,000+

Dodge Caravan
DKDKDK
?

Ford Explorer
DKDKDK

Ford Excursion
DKDKDK

Hyundai H1
ExcellentPoorPoor
85,000
One trim only
Hyundai Veracruz
DKDKDK


* The following rating scale was used: Pathetic, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent, DK (Dont Know).
** Brand new pricing, checked from Authorized Dealers (in most cases) during June-July 2011. Un-sure cases are marked with ~.

Comments